Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Cuttings

Stekjes



Two years ago, I planted Chocolate-Mint at my allotment. I was really fond of it, and at the end of last summer I took some cuttings from the plant, as I also wanted to grow it on my roofgarden.
Unfortunatley the cuttings died last winter.
When I did not see any new growth of the mint in the allotment, I was afraid the motherplant also died due to the frost earlier this year.
Yesterday,  I discovered tiny plants, widely spread around the spot where I originally planted it. I dug one of the runners up and there I had instant rootcuttings! Tiny little Chocolate-Mint plants with their own little rootsystems, ready to re-plant.
I cut them off the runner and put them in pots. Now they are in my greenhouse, to grow on a bit more before I plant them in one of those balcony planter boxes. I am intending to grow a lot more herbs at home, which makes more sense than having them at an allotment 10Km away from my kitchen... right?

Twee jaar geleden heb ik een chocolade-munt geplant op de volkstuin. Ik was er gek op, dus heb ik er aan het einde van de zomer vorig jaar stekjes van geknipt, omdat ik de munt ook graag op mijn dakterras wilde laten groeien.
Helaas zijn de stekjes van de winter dood gegaan.
Toen ik geen jonge groei zag in de volkstuin, dacht ik dat de moederplant ook was dood gegaan door de vorst eerder dit jaar.
Gisteren ontdekte ik heel kleine plantjes, ver verspreid van de originele plek waar ik de plant oorspronkelijk had neergezet. Ik heb een van de uitlopers opgegraven; en daar waren instant kleine stekjes!
Heel kleine Chocolade-Munt plantjes, met hun eigen kleine wortel stelseltjes, klaar om te verplanten.
Ik heb ze van de uitloper geknipt en in kleine potjes gezet. Ze staan nu in mijn kas, om een beetje meer te groeien voor ik ze in een balkon bak plant. Ik wil meer kruiden thuis gaan kweken, lijkt me een stuk handiger dan in de volkstuin, 10 km van mijn keuken... toch?




1 comment:

  1. Love the smell of chocolate mint - I have some growing in a container - and it is just poking through the soil - it reminds me of After Eight Mints.

    ReplyDelete